Future Uses Program
The historic rehabilitation project will transform the stately Rotunda into a unique event space flanked by arts and innovation uses such as galleries, studios, and makerspaces, as well as a business incubator/coworking space on the upper floors opening out onto the Rotunda atrium. An entire city block will be enlivened by a variety of first floor retail and restaurants with outdoor seating. Along with artist-focused LIHTC housing occupying the upper floors of several buildings, the Arcade will be a hub of an emerging arts and innovation district in downtown Dayton.The redevelopment will be completed in 2 primary phases. The structuring of the Arcade project allows the development team to maintain an orderly absorption of new uses and the ability to activate spaces as the project progresses.
• Art Center, galleries, classrooms, studios, and artist makerspaces
(17,500 SF): Cultivating a cluster of arts-related uses, the Arcade will provide the community with an unique space for the creative community.
• Innovation Space (HUB) (100,000 SF): The project will revitalize the stately Rotunda and additional spaces into a co-working, shared office, and incubation space, bringing together unique academic and entrepreneurial partners to create a dynamic, vibrant destination. The HUB is visible proof that Dayton’s long heritage of innovation is alive, healthy, and growing. Operated under joint venture between UD and TEC, the HUB is intended to act as a powerful catalyst for the future of our region’s innovation economy.
• Affordable & Market Rate Creative Housing – 126 units (24 units market rate): Focusing on the growing local artist community and 1,400 SF of arts-related support space.
• Restaurants and Retail (15,000-20,000): Modeled on the 3CDC Over-the-Rhine retail
strategy, the Arcade will house a diverse cluster of restaurants and retail which may include a custom craft brewery, a fresh market and deli, and a local coffee shop.
• Public Event Space: The Rotunda will be resurrected as an active public event space and tourist destination, available for festivals, pop-up retail, performances, talks, product launches, etc. A new theater in the round will be created on the lower level under the Rotunda.
• Kitchen Incubator and Fresh Food Market (10,000 SF): The creation of a kitchen incubator will feature commercial grade equipment, storage, and preparation areas. It will be designed for maximum flexibility for local food startups to economically scale their businesses.
• Retail and Restaurant Space (5,000 – 8,000 SF): The existing historic retail space in the 3rd Street Arcade will be reactivated to support the kitchen incubator businesses as well as other local serving restaurants and retail.
• Additional Public Event Space (4,000 – 6,000 SF): The North Arcade will be restored to its former glory and connected to the revitalized Rotunda, creating a one of a kind destination spanning an entire city block.
• Residential (28,590 SF): As part of the Third Street Arcade project, 32 apartment units will occupy the entire third, fourth, and fifth floors of Third Street Arcade, including the Gibbons Annex.